What's the easiest way to migrate Win7 OS from a 1 TB HDD to a new SSD 120 GB?

Discussion in 'Shortcircuit City' started by Stinky, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Stinky

Stinky Mr. Fusion

Like the title says.

I had an Intel 120 GB 320 SSD layin around that I finally hooked up in my rig and I'm having trouble migrating Win7 to it. I have the Paragon migration software but it seems that halfway through the copying process it stops and says I don't have enough space. This is after I excluded a bunch of files like games and such from being copied. There is @ 111 GB available and when it's all said and done about 65 GB to be copied.

Anybody with experience or thoughts on this?
  2. menace

menace Thread Gestapo Staff Member

Re-install. Don't waste your time with the migration nonsense. After you finish setting up the SSD mount up your old drive and manually copy over anything you want.
  3. Stinky

Stinky Mr. Fusion

Yea after doing some research I think that's the best bet. Every time I've tried to dick with Windows I usually just end up wasting tons of time just to reinstall it anyway.

So basically, back up files to my external HDD...disconnect the original drive...install Win7 fresh on the SSD, then reconnect original HDD...wipe it...and start loading programs eg games and such back on it?
  4. menace

menace Thread Gestapo Staff Member

I'm not going to talk you out of backing up your data to the external but it should be mostly unnecessary. The current hard drive won't see anything different other than being powered off. Slap in the new SSD, install Windows, connect the old drive back to you machine however you want without wiping it, and copy your stuff back over. You'll need to re-install your apps and all but no biggie.
  5. Stinky

Stinky Mr. Fusion