Tablets: Which ones are the "best"?

Discussion in 'Shortcircuit City' started by B00STED4V, Aug 2, 2011.

1. B00STED4V

B00STED4V Caution: Pees Everywhere When Drunk

First and foremost I want to say that I DO NOT WANT AN IPAD.

I'm looking at getting a tablet for a family member within the next 2-3 weeks but I'm not sure which one to get or what company to go with, it'll be to replace a laptop so something that has good space and good speed (32GB), interwebs wi-fi/3/4G, is ideal for photos, videos, music and media in general. Looking to spend about $600 max.

Ideas? Thoughts? etc

Here are two that I think might work well...

Toshiba Thrive 32GB
    http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-thr...ra-2-1-0ghz-1gb-ddr2/q/loc/101/221720891.html

HP Touchpad 32GB
    http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-touchpad...n-apq8060-1-2ghz-1gb/q/loc/111/222442034.html
  2. YoungGun

YoungGun have car, will race...wait, it doesn't run

why not a netbook?

just asking

Chad
  3. Flash!

Flash! Some say he once threw a microwave oven at a tramp

The Asus eee pad Transformer would be my first pick (if I had to pick one... IMO the tech is improving and prices are dropping too fast for me to spend that kind of coin):
    http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T...8J1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312320250&sr=8-1

Also, if the tablet has a SDHC or microSDHC slot, I wouldn't bother getting the 32gb version. Buy a couple 32gb SDHC cards (~$40) to load music/movies on, it'll be cheaper.

You mention 3G/4G but I'm pretty sure the only 10" tablet out right now with either is the iPad, so I'm assuming that isn't a priority?
  4. B00STED4V

B00STED4V Caution: Pees Everywhere When Drunk

They are cool little gadgets and the person is needing a new computer anyway and they want something a little more up to date.

Thanks, that's actually a really cool once since it can work with a keyboard and that's a HUGE selling point IMO. The SDHC idea is pretty cool so I'll deff keep that in mind for $ sake. The 3G/4G isn't a priority no, I was just curious is any of the other ones out there had it and if they do like what the benefits would be to having it, etc.
  5. YoungGun

the transformer is the one I want if I would buy one...remember the keyboard is like $150

but it makes it extremely versatile.

sprint has the galaxy tab which is android based, and the Xoom as well.

don't know much about either

Chad
  6. Sk1n

Sk1n My pitbull has balls as nice as mine

My bro got an early bday present; which is a 16gb iPad with 3G & WiFi. I didn't pay for it (mom did), but I think it's pretty sweet.
  7. YoungGun

hp touchpads for 99 or 150 for 32gb if you can find them...

Chad
  8. YoungGun

9. Faaip de Oiad

Faaip de Oiad Van Damme stole my appendix.

If you can find one anywhere, you can get the HP Touchpad for $100 (16gb) or $149 (32gb). Both are sweet deals, and if you bought one after June 19th (I think) for full price, they'll refund the difference.
  10. Sk1n

Sk1n My pitbull has balls as nice as mine

HOLY FUCK!
  11. yeah I can't find one. The second I heard they were doing this I went to look.. all gone. MOTHERFUCKERS!
  12. Faaip de Oiad

Faaip de Oiad Van Damme stole my appendix.

Oh, and if you got your hands on one, there's currently a $2,000 bounty to get a workable version of Android up and running on the touchpad. Let the hackathon begin!