Need Help Picking Out a New Desktop PC

Discussion in 'Shortcircuit City' started by Stumpy, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy People that drive Miatas have small penises.

Seems to be lots of deals out their right now. However, I am kinda of ignorant when it comes to computer hardware.

However, I do have friends that could help me build my own if needed to save money to make a better computer.

What I need it for:
    -Playing resource eating games like Minecraft
    -Editing HD Movie files with hard core programs like Sony Vegas

What I don't need:
    - DVD Burner (who uses those anymore?)
    - HD Space, I just do not need a lot of it. (Maybe a small SSD drive?)

What I want to spend:
    -No more than like $350 (after tax)

Examples of some of the deals out there right now:

HP Pavilion Slimline s5710f @ Staples.com $330 (plus tax)
    - AMD Athlon II X2 260 Dual Core 3.2GHz, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HDD

HP Pavilion p6710t @ Hp.com $330 (plus tax)
    - Intel Celeron processor 450 2.2GHz, 3GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD

2. Flash!

Flash! Some say he once threw a microwave oven at a tramp

Given your budget, building your own is out of the question unless you already have (or can cheaply obtain) a Windows license for the PC. An OEM copy of Win7 Home Premium is going to cost $100, so even a cheap build is going to be at least $400. But for about $450 you could build a MUCH nicer machine with an AMD quad core which would make a big difference in Vegas.

The second HP you posted has a single core processor. DO NOT buy anything single core, you will regret it. You can customize it to add a dual-core for $20 more, or take a look at the HP p6700z, starts at $299 but with the dual core upgrade it's $329. Its got less memory, but down the road it'd be real easy for you to pick up a 2gb stick (they are about $20 now) and install it yourself.

The slimline actually seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you like that form factor. It is definitely more limited in upgrade options (you can't ever add a video card to it like you could to the others, limited hard drive options too) but depending on your demands it may be a good option.

No dual core system is ever going to edit HD video in Vegas very well. It'll work, but rendering anything is going to take a long time.
  3. Stumpy

Thanks Flash!.. Great info there.

I have a lot of research still to do, but I will stay way from any single core processor.

4. Stumpy

UPDATE: Just ordered a new computer.

Ended up spending more than I originally thought.

Got a Dell Inspiron 620 MT:

Specs:
    Intel Core i3-2100 Processor (3mb Cache, 3.10GHz)
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz- 2 DIMMs
    1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive

Got it for $490 (Before tax) Free Shipping and 0% for 12 Months.

I think that is an ok deal?

5. Stumpy

Just saw that Circuit City has basically the exact same computer for $463 shipped Oh well...

The Acer AM3970-U5022 Desktop PC.

6. Sk1n

Sk1n My pitbull has balls as nice as mine

Circuit City is still around?! :wtf:
  7. Stumpy

Yeah, new owner and online only. They do have some good deals here and there.

8. Sk1n

Sk1n My pitbull has balls as nice as mine

Huh...I thought they went under entirely.
  9. Flash!

Flash! Some say he once threw a microwave oven at a tramp

The company that runs Tiger Direct bought out the CC website during their bankruptcy.

PS: For $30, I'd have gone with the Dell over the Acer. I think you got a good deal. The i3 2100 is very capable.
  10. Stumpy

Speaking of Tiger Direct, they just opened a store where the old Circuit City was by my house. The place looks like crap inside, but the prices are great.

And I was very happy with my Dell deal. I have ordered Dells for as long as I can remember. Their client service and quick shipping has always worked out for me.

After my order, it will be less than a week before I get it. Can't wait!